My house is undergoing some big renovations this year. Most recently, we replaced some of our old Laminate Flooring with Deco Floor’s Reclaimed Barnwood Vinyl Plank SPC.
What I like about our Luxury Vinyl Plank
This type of flooring was recommended by multiple people. I was told that it is waterproof and more durrable than hardwood or laminate.
I also appreciate the simplicity of floating tongue & groove planks vs the stuff I used to watch be glued down at my grandmother’s house.
And I like that the glare is not as bad off of our vinyl plank compared to our previous glossy laminate plank. … That said, the glare that is there clearly screams “I am vinyl.”
What I don’t like about the dark Reclaimed Barnwood color
I had some specific colors and shades in mind when I started my search for new flooring. Unfortunately, those colors and shades were not in stock within my budget.
I read that dark wood looking floors can make a room feel more “open.” So I went a few shades darker with Deco Floor’s Reclaimed Barnwood. … Here are the things I wish I had known before:
- Dark floors show dirt – So much dirt! We have pets running in and out of the house throughout the day. Their little paws track in light colored sand.
- It also shows the marks where I dragged our coffee table. – Not too bad. But I don’t think I would have noticed the marks if I went with a lighter color.
- The areas where I installed this floor in do not feel any more “open.”
- I thought the dark floor would brighten the next room by contrast. – Instead the next room feels dreary. Reclaimed Barnwood does not compliment my kitchen cabinets. … That said, I was already considering painting the kitchen cabinets.
- And my dark brown dog blends in too well with my dark brown floor.
Change Is Hard!
This is a fine floor. And I really do love the color in the right lighting. But my house currently feels very off balance. I need time to adjust and I think it will help when we move the rest of the furniture back into our livingroom.
I really do like this flooring! I feel like this color is what my house should have in it. … It only goes with about half of our existing furniture. But the stuff it doesn’t match can be re-covered or re-painted if I don’t get used to it.